I got a letter yesterday that my embryos (3) are due for annual storage payment to the tune of $850. I am currently 28 weeks pregnant with #2, and DH and I are both in complete agreement that 2 is our ideal family size. My plan was to donate the embryos to research once DD safely arrived, but this came sooner than I realized and now I'm hesitant. I really don't want to shell out $850 when we have zero plans of a 3rd child, but I worry that the worst might happen and DD doesn't arrive as planned. WWYD?
Potentially pertinent info: I'm 37, but our IF problems stem from severe MFI. I haven't had any egg quality issues (my AMH last summer was 6.45), but I know that can deteriorate quickly. I live in a mandated state so if the worst happened and we decided to try for #2 again a fresh cycle would be free.
I just can't shake the feeling of "don't count your chickens...", but is that irrational?
Not quite the same situation with us, but if our clinic asked for the next year storage fee right now while I'm pregnant with #2 I'd personally pay it. But I admit I'm on the fence about #3 so thats why. I would LOVE #3. But I dont know if I can go through fertility treatment for another time. But I know that kind of money isn't something we all just have sitting around for funsies so I completely understand if you decided to donate and be done. I'm clearly no help, sorry!
I’m pregnant with twins and there’s like 0% chance DH will ever agree to more children after this (I’m definitely not on board with more kids right now but never say never). I still paid the storage fee because “what if”, meaning what if something bad happens or what if he changes his mind.
We're in the same situation. We're due for payment ($700) on our remaining embryo, I'm 22 weeks pregnant and we don't want any more kids. But we're going to suck it up and pay for another year, god forbid, just in case.
Post by cherryvalance on Mar 17, 2019 11:41:37 GMT -5
Also ask if they'll let you pay quarterly instead. We pay quarterly so that we have the insurance of extra embryos, but can make a decision to stop storage more frequently. It's so hard to decide what to do.